“Sit in the Discomfort”
Dean of Enrollment Services, South Mountain Community College
Today’s interview is with Guy Goodman, Dean of Enrollment Services at South Mountain Community College.
Our conversation with Guy included discussions of historical and modern-day lynchings, the urgent need for change now, and the hopes he has for the future. Guy reflects on the responsibilities we as educators hold to embody social change. He complicates our understanding of conduct and discipline on a college campus, and he challenges us to question our policies as well as how we talk about protests, politics, race, and oppression.
At the end of the day, he says, “We are educators.” Everything we do has an impact. He implores us, “It’s important for us to sit in that discomfort.”
Hear Guy’s interview wherever you get your podcasts.
- Guy shared how he discussed the murders of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor with his own family members.
- In a discussion about his sons, Guy mentioned the bravery of Mamie Till Mobley
- Guys’ reading suggestions include Martin Luther King Jr.’s “The Other America.”
- Above all, Guy misses seeing the people he works with in person on a daily basis.
- The best way to contact Guy is to email him at Guy.Goodman@southmountaincc.edu.
Interview Date: 6/9/20
Connect with us:
Click here to tell us your story.
Why is it called More and More Every Day? Click here to read our first More and More post. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @smcchistory
Click here to join our mailing list.